Counselor in Training
CIT 1: Entering 9th grade the following school year.
CIT 2: Entering 10th grade the following school year. Successful completion of the CIT 1 program is preferred but not required.
Sewataro’s Counselor-In-Training (CIT) program is a two-year leadership program for young adults who are interested in becoming camp counselors. First year CITs attend for six weeks, while second year CITs attend for four. The program’s objectives are to develop counselors who emphasize learning, fun and safety through a positive work ethic, leadership, and enthusiastic spirit and to provide its participants with a summer of personal growth and enjoyment. It provides a unique opportunity for participants to develop a sense of camaraderie and responsibility.
- The CIT 1 program is 6 weeks in length, and is offered for both sessions CIT 1.1 (equivalent to our regular camp session 6.1, 6/24-8/2) and CIT 1.2 (equivalent to regular camp session 6.2, 7/8-8/16), in order to give families options as to which two weeks they’d like to take “off.”
- The CIT 2 program is 4 weeks in length, and is offered twice: the first four weeks (CIT 2.1, equivalent to regular camp session 4.1, 6/24-7/19), OR the last four weeks (CIT 2.2, equivalent to regular camp session 4.3, 7/22-8/16).
The program includes four components:
- Participation in camp activities such as Adventure Challenge (zip-line, climbing wall, high and low ropes) and Overnights.
- CIT-specific activities like group projects and off-site trips. For example, CITs traveled to Project Adventure for team building activities and to Cradles to Crayons to perform community service.
- Assignments to assist with our groups and at activities under the mentoring of senior staff.
- Reflection and discussion of pertinent issues such as managing group dynamics, setting expectations for campers with clear consequences, and interacting with co-counselors.
Although completion of the two-year program is not a guarantee of a position at Sewataro, it is an excellent preparation, and those who have successfully completed it will be given priority in our hiring high school age applicants.
- Complete an online camper application Apply online. CIT applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. All supporting documentation is due the day before your interview is scheduled.
- Once your online application is received you will be asked to submit:
a) two letters of recommendation (a Google form that will be shared after the application has been received), only one of which can be from a Sewataro staff member.
b) a completed CIT questionnaire
- We will contact you to set up an in-person interview at camp. The first round of interview dates will be scheduled in November for applications received through October. You may call the office or email: to reserve an interview slot. Interviews are scheduled in 30 minute blocks.
We will be accepting CIT applications on a rolling basis beginning on September 19th at 6am. All supporting documentation is due the day before your interview is scheduled.
No. We will be accepting CIT applications on a rolling basis, until the program is full.
Yes, you need to submit two recommendations. Acceptable recommendations: teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, mentors, club advisors, youth ministers, rabbis, employers, volunteer organizers, etc. One of your recommendations may also come from a past/current Sewataro staff member (though is not required). Once you apply, you will be emailed the recommendation form (a Google Form) and a questionnaire to answer and submit as part of your application.
Acceptance into the CIT program is based upon the application, references, and camper history (if applicable), as well as the interview. Space is limited, and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed. CITs should expect to make a firm commitment to the full 6 weeks of camp.
We hope to finalize CIT selections by December 1st.